Adding your Google Apps email to Outlook 2011, 2016, or Mac Mail (for Mac)
Posted: Tuesday, November 3rd, 2015 by Daniel Apana
Outlook 2011 or Outlook 2016 or Mac Mail
Before following these instructions, you will want to Configure Google Mail for Email Software & Mobile Devices.
Mac Mail is similar to these instructions, so you can still use a large majority of this for adding your account to Mac Mail.
1. Open Outlook for Mac 2011 or 2016. Click on the Tools menu, click Accounts. Click Add an Account, click Other Email.
2. Type in your information as follows:
E-mail address: Youremail@domain.com
Password: Your email password
- Do not select Configure automatically.
- In the User name field, enter your Google Mail address again
- Under Type, select IMAP from the drop-down menu.
- For both Incoming and Outgoing servers, select Override default port and Use SSL to connect.
- In the Incoming server fields, enter imap.googlemail.com : 993.
- In the Outgoing server fields, enter smtp.googlemail.com : 465.
- Click Add Account. You will return to the Accounts window.
3. In the Accounts window, most of the fields will be automatically populated. Under Personal information, verify the following:
- In the Account description field, enter a name for the account identifying it as your Google Mail account.
- In the Full name field, enter your name.
Note: This will appear in the From field of your outgoing messages.
- The Email address field should contain your Google Mail address
4. Then, under Server information, verify the following:
- The User Name field should also contain your Google Mail address.
- The Password field should contain the Application specific password generated by Google.
- The Incoming mail server fields should read imap.googlemail.com : 993. If this number is incorrect, select Override default port to unlock the field and change it.
- The Outgoing mail server (SMTP) fields should read smtp.googlemail.com : 465. If this number is incorrect, select Override default port to unlock the field and change it.
- Select the boxes next to Use SSL to connect for both incoming and outgoing servers. Make sure Always use secure password is selected.
- Click More Options… to open an Outgoing server settings window. Under Authentication, select Use Incoming Server Info from the drop-down menu. Click OK. You will be brought back to theAccounts window and you can close it. All of your settings will be saved automatically.
5. You will now see your Google Mail address listed in the Inbox. If you have more than one email account in Outlook 2011, you can set your Google Mail address as default by clicking the Gear icon at the bottom of the left menu and selecting Set as Default.